Monday, April 18, 2011

Best Easter Eggs Ever!!

OK - With Easter right around the corner, I find myself reminiscing once again about another childhood memory.... Laura Secord Easter Cream Eggs.  Cadburys Easter Cream Eggs are a pail comparison to Laura's treats!!!  

When I was little the Easter Bunny would always hide the little yellow box in each of our baskets.  The funny thing was that as soon as our morning egg-hunt was over, those little yellow boxes would be initialled (so that my sisters and brother and I wouldn't fight over them), and whisked away into the refrigerator, only to be served to us under my dad's strictest of portion controls - every night thereafter, for as long as they lasted, my dad would take out our Laura Secord eggs and a very sharp knife, and slice a wafer thin section off the end for us to eat.  I'm serious when I guess that those little eggs lasted us for weeks because my siblings and I still joke about dad's portion control.
He applied it most notably to our Laura Secord Easter Eggs, and the boxes of Morden's Russian Mints that my uncle would always send us from Wininpeg, for Christmas.
The really funny thing is that it took us kids many years before we figured out that there wasn't really anything stopping us from going into the fridge any time we wanted to cut our own slices of chocolate cream delight.  Alas, as soon as we figured that out, they didn't seem to last as long, and inevitably my sister Jenny, who had supernatural self-control would end up having the last egg, and really enjoyed drawing out her pleasure while the rest of us looked on longingly.

Sadly, there are no Laura Secord's west of Winnipeg, so I haven't been able to indulge in this chocolate memory for a long time now - BUT Ken (aka my personal easter bunny) is in Ontario on business this week, so I've put in a special request for him to find a Laura Secord store and grab me one... or two.  If that doesn't work out, I just found out they sell these decadent treats at Shoppers Drug Mart in Alberta, so maybe there's hope for me this year.

I guess if I were feeling ambitious I could try to find a recipe to make them myself - but why mess with perfection when Laura Secord could be as close to me as my nearest Shoppers.... or Ken's suitcase.

1 comment: