Thursday, February 17, 2011

Brazilian BBQ

Last night I took my in-laws out to dinner in Calgary, while my husband took our son out to a Flames vs. Stars NHL game (thanks to tickets Santa brought) - for what it's worth Flames won 4-2.   Mid way through the game my son texted to tell me: "This is cool mommy - there is real fire when the Flames score."  I don't know if he really cared who won - he was just captivated by the crowd cheering and the fire.... oh to be 8 again.

ANYWAYS - while they were at the game, I decided to entertain his mom and her husband, on their last night in Alberta, by taking them out to dinner in the city...... and what a dinner it was!!!

One of my friends recommended Bolero, which is a Brazilian Steakhouse on MacLeod Trail (www.bolerocalgary.com).  It was so much fun - like a buffet where the food comes to you... similar to dim sum I guess, but all the grilled meats and grilled vegetables are served to you at your table, from these long sword-like skewers..... very cool!!  The atmosphere is dark and cozy, but still family friendly.  The Bar had a pretty good wine list, and some South America cocktails that are totally worth indulging in!!!  Desserts were enormous and mouthwatering - and entirely unnecessary, after the HUGE amount of food we ate. 
I booked our reservation online through their very handy reservation system - and it's a good thing I did, because the place was surprisingly busy for a Wednesday night! I can't wait to go back again with my whole family (unless I find a way to whisk my husband away on a romantic date sans kids - haha).

So, in honour of my amazing dinner last night, at a very funky restaurant, my favourite-thing link-of-the-day is to a video for another Bolero - this one by Ravel. It's played by a neat musical group called Barrage and is a very compeling interpretation of a fantastic piece of classical music (which we incidentally used for our wedding march - oh so many years ago).....

Enjoy!

As Always, Dayna

1 comment:

  1. That does sound amazing!! Loving your Blog Dddayna. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete