Saturday, February 19, 2011

Recipe for my magical vanilla matcha - a Saturday morning indulgence

I love tea - all makes and types of it (well - except most herbals, but if that makes me a tea-snob, so be it.)
Today, I want to make note of my matcha* magic.

A couple of years ago, I came across a little teashop in Banff that sold a wonderful matcha blend called: Vanilla Cloud Matcha, made by Domo** (www.domotea.com).  It's kind of like a Starbucks green tea latte, but a gazillion times better.  I fell in love, stocked up and indulged.  Unfortunately, my stash ran out, and when I went to replenish, I found out that it is indefinitely out of stock - SO, rather than go into withdrawal, I went to Chinatown.

There I found a big bag of plain powdered green tea, and started experimenting to find my own version of the Vanilla Cloud Matcha recipe that I could fall back on.  I succeeded satisfactorily, and the following "recipe" has become my Saturday morning treat; my Sunday Afternoon curled up with a good book escape; my early morning rushing off to work nutritious caffeine hit; and the "special tea" treat I make for my kids whenever I'm in a particularly good (and generous mood).

Dayna's Magical Vanilla Matcha (a hug-in-a-mug like no other):
 (note: I usually guesstimate quantities - so play around until you find proportions that are right for you)

1 Large Mug - that you can hug your hands around
1 T powdered milk
1/2 to 1 tsp powdered green tea (less tea = more creamy drink.... d'uh)
1 T white sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla flavour
Mix all of the above together with 1/4 cup boiling water in the bottom of your mug (this helps to dissolve the tea powder.)
Fill mug with hot milk (can use skim, 2%, homo, rice, almond or soy milk)
Top with a pinch of cinnamon.
ENJOY!!!

I actually make this recipe up in bulk quantities, so i can just go and grab a cup on a whim, without having to get out all the measuring spoons.

Optional: If you have a milk steamer, USE IT.  If not, you can put the whole concoction in a blender and whip it up before drinking it

Other Suggestions:
1) Replace the vanilla with cocoa powder to taste (Domo tea called this Chocolate Ecstasy).  This is a nice option, but personally I prefer my hot cocoa a little richer - as in pure 100% cocoa and a touch of sugar without any other flavour distractions.

In the inspired words of Dora's Backpack..... "yumyumyumyumyum delicioso!!!"

As Always, Dayna


* P.S. According to the wisdom of Wikipedia:  Matcha (抹茶?, pronounced [mat.tɕa][1]) refers to finely-milled Japanese green tea. The cultural activity called the Japanese tea ceremony centers on the preparation, serving, and drinking of matcha. In modern times, matcha has also come to be used to flavour and dye foods such as mochi and soba noodles, green tea ice cream and a variety of wagashi (Japanese confectionery).

**P.P.S. Incidentally Domo Tea still makes delicious teas that you can order through their website.  They were recently featured on CBC's Dragon's Den: http://www.cbc.ca/dragonsden/pitches/domo-tea.html

No comments:

Post a Comment