Monday, February 21, 2011

Glass Bottle Walls - my dream studio

If only I were a little braver in my youth, a little more confident;  if only I hadn't been so afraid of losing myself in my art - of expressing myself in full colour on canvas and paper; and if only I hadn't listened to all of the well-intentioned advice I received, about art not being the best "career choice" for me.   Wouldn't it be interesting to see how different my life path might have been.  Not that I'm sorry with the decisions I made that have brought me to where and who I am today, because I really do love my life.  I am surrounded by more blessings than my younger self could never have imagined.
Today though, it's almost 17 years since I graduated from university and I feel like I've misplaced my inspiration to create art - I feel an inner-restraint on my creativity, like I've never felt before....and it makes me a little sad.

Granted being a busy wife and mother of 2 energetic children, it makes it difficult to find time to be alone and quiet with my thoughts, nevermind time to create for creativity's sake - So these days I try to look for inspiration in my kids' innocent world views; their unique senses of humour; and the way they keep making new discoveries about themselves and their surroundings - like they are waking up a little more to the world each and every day.  I find myself expressing my creativity in unexpected and odd ways - playing around with recipes in the kitchen (sometimes disastrously - like my Valentines Day Red Velvet cheesecake fiasco); not following Doug's lego instructions in exactly the right order (thereby creating starships from the wrong galaxy); and refusing to colour the Disney Princess dresses in the prescribed colours - much to Evy's chagrin... oooo I've become such an artistic rebel!!!

Time moves quickly the older I get- all the more it seems since I became a mom, so I imagine one day, probably sooner than I'll be ready for, I will wake up to a quiet house again - alone with my husband, wandering through an empty nest.
When that time comes, one of my wishes will be that I find and commit to my long lost inner artist... and when I do, I hope that she and I can get to know each other again, surrounded by beauty, eclecticism and inspiration - and I would love to do this in an artist's studio like this one in New Zealand  (I found it on the Glass Bottle Walls  website:)

with a shady porch like this:
that overlooks a magnificent view like this:
or this:





Sigh.... one day.
Let me consider this post, my way of putting my dream out into the universe to see if the law of attraction really does work :)

As Always, Dayna

No comments:

Post a Comment