Monday, March 7, 2011

14 day Countdown to 40 - Self-Indulgence #4

A Perfect Afternoon Nap

I had a relatively quiet day today, with 2 kids home from school.
My 5 year old daughter had a dentist appointment to fix a "sugar bug nest", while my 8 year old son had something like the flu.  So, we lay low for the day, and drank lots of fluids and ate fairly bland foods.  
STILL - I managed to swing this quiet day to my pre-birthday celebration advantage by shamelessly indulging in a blissful afternoon nap, curled up along side my kidlets...and I'm not talking about an energy-efficient power nap - nope - I'm talking all out, fully relaxed, lucid dream filled SNOOZE
It was wonderful!
Finding the time to take an afternoon nap is becoming part of my ongoing quest for renewed inner-balance.  Napping helps to calm my mind in the middle of the day.  The lucid dreams I sometimes experience while napping not only help me sort through my thoughts and feelings, they can also make for wonderful escapes... with lucid dreaming I'm able to relive wonderful memories from my past, visit again with friends from long ago and visualize ideal moments of peace and calm, spent by myself or with loved ones, so that I awaken refreshed and appreciative of the blessings in my life today.
The Three Ages of Women (detail), 1905 by Gustav Klimt
I think napping is an under appreciated indulgence, and a gift that we should give ourselves more often.  I am grateful I periodically have the time to indulge in them now, before I make my next plunge back into the workforce.

A day without a nap is like a cupcake without frosting.  ~Terri Guillemets

As always, Dayna

PS My son's flu-like bug appears to be abating - he's kept down all of his fluids since this morning and had no problem eating a light dinner.  He's sleeping soundly now with no fever - so I think we may be in the clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment