Tuesday, March 15, 2011

14 day Countdown to 40 - Self-Indulgence #8

PKNT Gold Carmenere
(PNKT is prounounced "Picante")
PKNT Gold Carmenere - a Fabulous new red wine

Last night I brought a bottle of PKNT Gold Carmenere to self-indulgence #7.  It is a wonderful Chilean red wine that I discovered while cruising the aisles at one of our local liquor stores.   This time, I didn't just choose by label - I was looking for something different that would go good with our indian feast, and that I hadn't tried before.  What a wonderful surprise I had when we opened the cork. 
I don't have the wine vocabulary to describe it "Properly", so here is a link to a blog I found that describes it better: PKNT CHILEAN WINE


I decided to research it a bit more for this posting and found that the Carmenere grape variety actually has a pretty interesting story.... According to Snooths.com:
Carmenère (aka. Cabarnelle, Carbouet, Carmenelle, Grande Carmenet, Grande Vidure) Carmenere is a rediscovered grape variety that’s beginning to make waves in California. Eclectic producers, such as Guenoc, are blending Carmenere with Bordeaux grapes such as Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon and Petit Verdot as part of traditional Meritage blends. Forgotten for over a century, Carmenere had become a viticultural dinosaur. But then Carmenere was found anew growing abundantly in Chile....  Read More....

This wine has a fabulous dark red colour, and a smooth but full body with hints of cherries, figs and vanilla. The wine pairs very well with spicy foods, and would probably be nice with strong cheeses too... hmmm I'll try that next time.

Meanwhile, stay tuned as I continue to indulge in counting-down to the end of my thirtys at the end of this week.

As Always, Dayna

No comments:

Post a Comment