Saturday, March 5, 2011

Literature as Art.... literally



As technology continues to evolve, I worry about the future of printed books for a lot of reasons.  I can't imagine anything I could love more than curling up with a good book - from the tactile experience of holding a heavy novel on my lap, to the scratchy sound of turning pages to the smell of old paper.  I am generally disturbed at the thought of destroying books.  HOWEVER, artist Brian Dettmer is creating what I see as a wonderful tribute to the printed word. 
I first read about Brian's work in an article on the NPR website.  Of course I already know that books contain beautiful treasures, but to see them uncovered like this is exquisite! 

In an age when so many old books lie moldering, out of date and forgotten in basements, on the shelves of dusty used book stores or discarded into landfill sites, I consider this art to be inspired recycling.

As Always, Dayna

No comments:

Post a Comment