Wednesday, March 23, 2011

14 day Countdown to 40 - Self-Indulgence #14 (part 1)

Stinky Cheese

9 yr old ch-ch-ch-cheddar
...so, after my Mom and I finished treasure hunting, we headed over to the Springbank Cheese Company at Willow Park Village in Calgary.  I had seen their sign many times, but never taken the time to go in until now.
Given my love of exotic foods - what better self-indulgence than a trip to a genuine fromagerie?? 


Mmmmm stilton
The Springbank Cheese Company carries over 300 kinds of cheese, as well as a very wide selection of complimentary specialty foods - crackers, pates, salsas, chutneys, oils and vinegars.
It was a culinary-heaven....


sigh... brie
To start (I say this, because now I have to go back again and try something different), we chose a 9 year old cheddar, a triangle of  greenish stilton, a bit of very creamy and very sharp gorgonzola, and a half wheel of brie to mellow everything out.


We also picked up some seasoned rice crackers and a bottle of wild hibiscus flowers in syrup (I'll detail that experience in another post), and some seasoned rice crackers.
Later that afternoon, we went home and sampled the cheeses with a bit of Branston Pickle, that my husband Ken had brought home from England (I'm so lucky he knows me so well), apple slices, crackers and crusty bread ... the only thing missing was a bottle of Strongbow Cider, and it would have been a perfect Ploughman's Lunch!
It was wonderful!!!!

.... click on to part 2....

No comments:

Post a Comment