Thursday, March 17, 2011

14 day Countdown to 40 - Self-Indulgence #12

The Custard Apple...

My joy in discovering new foods dates back almost as long as I can remember.  By the early 1990s, I had moved away to another city for university, but had yet to see much of the world.  In 1993, I had the opportunity to participate in an exchange program to India, with Canadian Crossroads International.  During those travels, I took the opportunity to try out as many new foods as I could - sometimes whether I knew what they were or not.
For one of my braver culinary adventures, some friends and I decided to buy one of the strangest and ugliest fruits there was, from a fruit vendor who didn't speak much english.  I remember it was green and looked a bit like a cross between an artichoke and a grenade.  We brought it back to our hostel and sat there looking at it for quite some time, trying to figure out how to eat it.
First - We didn't know if we should peel it, or just wash it and prepare to eat the skin;
Then - We didn't know if there was a special way to cut it open... would it be full of juice like an orange? would it be pulpy like an apple?
After we finally took the plunge and cut it open, we had no idea what to do next... what part of it could we eat?  The pulp, honestly, looked like barf (sorry, but it's true) and the seeds were hard and smooth like a watermelon's.  After alot of laughter and jokes worthy of any 8 year old, we slowly started poking at it.  It smelled DELICIOUS - so that was a good thing.  We decided the seeds were too hard to chew, so we set them aside, and bravely moved on to the barf-like pulp.... and what a treasure we found!!!
The pulp was smooth and creamy, and almost exactly like a fruity custard!!  We found out later that they are sometimes called Custard Apples, but are also known as cherimoya or sweet sops.
They are a very soft fruit and must not ship well, because I have never seen them for sale in Canada; however, my parents just returned from their annual winter trek to "Holiday Island", and brought one back - just for me, in their suitcase - it was a little battered on the outside, but as disgustingly mushy gushy delicious on the inside.
My whole evening paused while I cut into it, and indulged.... alas, its barfy-looking pulp did NOTHING for my kidlets, so for once, I didn't have to share the treat with anyone..... oh well, their loss.

Thank you Mom and Dad - both for making this special trip out west for my Birthday, AND for the WONDERFUL Custard Apple Birthday gift.  I love you!!!!

Hmmmm - so tomorrow's the eve of my big day.... I can't wait to see what final self-indulgences await!!!!

As Always, Dayna

No comments:

Post a Comment