Wednesday, March 23, 2011

14 day Countdown to 40 - Self-Indulgence #13

Well - because I got a little off track mid-way through my 14 day countdown, I ended up having to cram double treats into the last 2 days of my 39th year.....ahhhhhhhh the bliss:
Self-Indulgence #13 - Treasure Hunting

One of my most favourite things to do is treasure hunt at garage sales and thrift shops.
Again - this choice of self-indulgence takes me back to my youth....When I was in high school, my best friend Anouk and I would got down to Toronto for a weekend in late August to do our school shopping.  I never had a whole lot of money to spend, so rather than hit the malls, we hit the streets ..... spending hours and hours exploring the head shops and thrift shops and boutiques and cafes along what became our "circuit" - Younge Street, Queen Street, Spadina and College. 
Those trips left me with some of my best memories of being a teenager in the 80s.  They also gave me a lasting appreciation for the environmentally friendly dollar-stretching ability of second-hand stores and thrift shop chic.  There is no other kind of shopping-style I love better than "The Hunt", but to do it properly, you need time and patience - with no kids in tow,


AND with a good friend who can tell you when you're going off your rocker over some crazy find.... to remind you that:
just because it fits doesn't mean it looks good on you!!!



ANYWAYS... Because it had been ages since my last "hunt", I decided to include a day of treasure hunting in my list of self-indulgences.   So, first thing Friday Morning (my birthday day), after getting the kids off to school, my Mom and I headed up to Calgary for a trip to "Chez VV" aka "Le Village" aka "Value Village".  OK, I know that sounds like a kind of wierd way to shoose to spend one's 40th birthday - but it was such a treat for me to spend a no-boys-no-babies day with my Mom, searching for unexpected treasures, through the aisles of the Thrift Shop...
I picked up a couple of good books that I've been waiting to read (The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill and Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen),
The Book of NegroesPride And Prejudice
a really cute spring jacket that still had the labels on it and 2 pairs of almost new darkwash jeans that fit me perfectly!!  If I'd gotten there a couple of minutes earlier, I could have also nabbed a Barbie Camper Van for Evy - but being as the day was all about me, I didn't head to the kids section first, like I usually do, so I missed it.... oh well, there will be other treasures other days.

As it was, mom and I had a wonderful time hanging out together that day - something we don't get to do nearly enough, being as we live so far apart.  The fact that we fit in some time VVing together on my birthday, was just like icing on the cake of what ended up an almost perfect 40th birthday day...

Self-indulgence #14 followed VV.... read on in my next post

1 comment:

  1. I love The Book of Negroes. It's gritty and tough read in many places, but well worth the journey. It's absolutely in my recommended reading list. Your blog is making a place on my list as well. I love it Dayna.

    As I transition to small town life, I hope you'll be able to show me some fun junk store/garage sale hot spots and the top ten places to "treasure hunt" in the area.

    ReplyDelete