Wednesday, March 23, 2011

14 day Countdown to 40 - Self-indulgence #14 (part 3)

My final self-indulgence was champagne and wild hibiscus - how's that for decadence - (thanks Mom) at my surprise birthday party (thanks to my dear husband Ken and good friends Jen and Sandra for organizing the shin-dig, and to everyone who came out!!)....

This final treat was a perfect end to a wonderful couple of weeks.  The wild hibiscus flowers are actually wild sorrel blossoms, preserved in a sweet syrup.  They can be used in a bunch of different ways, but I think the most beautiful way - by far is in champagne.  The blossoms taste a bit like apple, and add a lovely pink hue to the champagne.

sigh....... I guess this technically brings us to the end of the 14 days of self-indulgence, counting down to my 40th Birthday....it's been a fun exercise!!!
You know what - I'm going to keep at it.  I think it's ok to be a little self-indulgent every now and then ....This exercise in little self-indulgences has been all about looking after my inner-self and, calories-aside, my outer-self thanks me.  I find myself feeling more energized, envigorated and motivated than I have in a long time.
Life has gotten surprisingly busy, from shuttling kids back and forth to school and extra curriculars; to running errands and managing playdates; to doing laundry and keeping house; trying to prepare healthy snacks and meals; nursing owies and illnesses; paying the bills and trying to start a business...
The day-to-day craziness of life, nevermind caring for a family, can make it difficult to forget that if we want to be whole and balanced individuals, we need to take care of ourselves too - both our bodies and our minds. 
I am at peace with getting older.  I find I know myself better than I did when I was younger, and I like who I have become.  I continue to learn and grow everyday, and I'm excited for my future.... what better place to be at at the dawn of ones 40s?

Thank you for coming on this journey with me :)  I look forward to continuing to keep track of little bits of everything and nothing in particular right here in my blog about everything Dayna-ish... I'm having more fun blogging than I thought I would!! Feel free to follow if you wish... and even better, feel free to share your favourite things with me too :)

TTFN

As Always,  Dayna

No comments:

Post a Comment