Thursday, March 17, 2011

14 day Countdown to 40 - Self-Indulgence #11

Peri Fries and.....

Oh Happy Day - in case you haven't noticed yet, clearly the way to my heart is through my stomach.
My wonderful London Fog morning was followed up with a Peri Chicken Wrap and Peri Fries from Nando's Chicken in Calgary, and a Custard Apple, imported fresh from the island of Dominica by my loving father (more on that in the next post).

So why do I consider these 2 items to be self-indulgences worthy of commemorating my looming 40th Bday?

Peri Fries First - I've been waiting for an occasion to try out the Calgary Nando's every since I found out it was there MONTHS ago.
I first learn about Nando's about 6 years ago, when I spent a year working in Brampton, Ontario... it wasn't exactly the most inspiring job (office manager for a styrofoam peanut company), and the 90 minute commute sucked, BUT I was helping out a friend of my husband's, so what was I going to do but make the most of it and try out a different restaurant every lunch hour.  One day I stumbled on Nando's and was introduced to their unique and absolutely fabulous Peri Fries, (not to mention their Peri Chicken) and it was love at first bite!!
Peri Peri (or piri piri) also known as African Birds Eye Pepper is a fiery little pepper that originates in Africa.  At the time, I discovered it, it was so memorable, because this was the first new flavour I remember tasting in a very long time....
Now, I have always LOVED trying new foods and new tastes, and before being introduced to Peri Peri, I naively thought I had tried and or experienced just about every type of spice or seasoning available to us in Canada at least once - what a wonderful surprise to be proven wrong!!!
Peri Peri is VERY HOT and an absolutely PERFECT seasoning for french fries.  Unfortunately, I have yet to find anywhere that sells the seasoning by itself.  When President's Choice introduced their Peri Peri Chips a couple of summers ago, I was holding out hope that they would also introduce a Peri Peri BBQ Rub or something like that, but I'm still waiting and hoping....  ANYWAYS, I had to go up to the airport in Calgary this evening to pick up my parents, who are visiting for my Birthday, and because the local Nando's is right by the airport, I decided today was the perfect day to indulge in a big order of Peri Fries - my first in 6 years....mmmmmmmmmmmmmm


My day's self-indulgences didn't end here though.... click on to self-indulgence #12... the Custard Apple...

As Always, Dayna

No comments:

Post a Comment